I am a Florence Nightingale Bicentennial Fellow and Tutor in Computational Statistics and Machine Learning at the University of Oxford.
Prior to that, I was a Data Science Initiative Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University, working in the lab of Pierre Jacob.
Previously, I did my PhD in Statistics at Columbia University mentored by Liam Paninski.
I am originally from Santiago, Chile. There I obtained by B.S. in Mathematical Engineering at Universidad de Chile.
I develop robust, efficient and theoretically sound statistical methodology for tackling problems in life sciences involving data. My experience comes from Neuroscience and Epidemiology, but I am always eager to explore challenges in other fields as well. I am particularly interested in using/analyzing tools coming from Bayesian statistics, because of its practical appeal, and from Optimal Transport, where I have grown a more theoretical/methodological interest; I explore the computational and statistical aspects of entropic optimal transport in order to derive new sensible statistical procedures.
You can go to my Google Scholar profile for the most up-to date list of my publicly available scholarly work.
- Our work on Sinkhorn EM algorithm was selected for a spotlight presentation at the Optimal Transport and Machine Learning Workshop at NeuRIPS on 13th December, 2021
- I am presenting my work on the Sinkhorn Algorithm in the Seminar in Statistics at Collegio Carlo Alberto, Torino, Italy on 26th November, 2021
- I am presenting my work on Entropic Optimal Tranport in the Schrödinger Problem and Mean-field PDE Systems: Computational and Theoretical Advances. This conference will take place 15-19th November 2021, at CIRM, Marseille, France.
- I am presenting my work on inference of stratified infection fatality rates in the End-to-end Bayesian learning international conference. This conference will take place 25-29th October 2021, at CIRM, Marseille, France.
- April 28th,2021 our work on the impact of COVID-19 in Santiago, Chile has been published in Science. This is joint work with Pamela Martinez (co-first author), Ayesha Mahmud, Pablo Marquet, Caroline Buckee and Mauricio Santillana.
- Jan 07th,2021 our work on neural identification in colorful C.elegans worms has been published in Cell. This is joint work with Eviatar Yemini, Albert Lin, Amin Nejatbakhsh, Erdem Varol, Ruoxi Sun, Aravinthan DT Samuel, Liam Paninski, Vivek Venkatachalam and Oliver Hobert
- July 7th,2020 I gave a talk at Optimal Transport: Regularization and Applications Workshop.
- July 1st,2020 Started a new position as I am a Florence Nightingale Bicentennial Fellow and Tutor in Computational Statistics and Machine Learning at University of Oxford.
- June 30th, our new work on Sinkhorn EM algorithm (joint with Amin Nejatbakhsh, Erdem Varol, Jonathan Niles-Weed) is available as a preprint.
- Since September 2021, I am part of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee at the Department of Statistics, University of Oxford.
- Since September 2021, I am a Lecturer at Corpus Christi College, and a Senior Lecturer at a University College, Oxford.
- Since July 2020, I co-organize the Oxford Computational Statistics and Machine Learning (OxCSML) Seminar